Join our crew!
GROW Outreach Coordinator
Applications due Tuesday, August 27th, 2019
Help connect children to healthy food and nature through school gardens and farm experiences by building relationships, coordinating events and strengthening our outreach to strengthen our community.
- Communicate our mission, programs, volunteer opportunities and support through social media and print media
- Build relationships with current and new volunteers and volunteer groups
- Maintain a volunteer database
- Plan, coordinate and lead volunteer work days
- Plan, coordinate and lead events such as fundraisers, friendraisers, and involvement in community events.
- Help proofread print materials and grants
Position Outcomes: Strengthen relationships and communications with volunteer partners and program supporters.
Salary/Hours/Benefits: $16 per hour. No more than 15 hours per week or 8 hours per day with an average of 10 hours a week. Weekly work hours will be flexible as needs of organization vary each month. No benefits. Hours can be discontinued if there is a change in funding. The preferred start month is September.
Description of Organization: GROW is a 501c(3) non-profit organization based in La Crosse WI with a mission of connecting children to healthy food and nature.
- Help recruit, train, communicate with and oversee volunteers
- Plan, coordinate and lead volunteer work days to build or enhance school gardens with businesses and volunteer groups as decided by the Executive Director.
- Prepare and clean up after volunteer days
- Record volunteer information and maintain a volunteer database
- Plan, coordinate and lead our largest fundraiser, Growing Generosity
- Coordinate other fundraisers, friend-raisers, booths, presentations and smaller events as decided on by Executive Director
Communication and reporting:
- Communicate to the volunteers and supporters regarding volunteer opportunities using digital newsletters, Facebook, community calendar and other sources.
- Help create and proof weekly Facebook posts and GROW digital and print newsletters to communicate our mission, programs, and volunteer opportunities. Work with marketing intern as needed.
- Help proofread GROW materials such as grants, reports, fiscal asks and communications.
- Sound financial management including operating within budget. Ensure receipts are turned into Executive Director. Report to Executive Director responsible for annual budget preparation on needs for coming year by 1st of October. Keep log of volunteers, impact and photos and turn in by the 1st of November each year.
- You are encouraged to attend two board meetings for pay each year. Additional attendance at board meetings is optional, but encouraged.
- Completion of any reports and data collection required by funding sources or the Board of Directors.
- Follow the GROW Style Guide when preparing documents and media. Ensure interns and volunteers do the same.
- Ensure updates and photos are available for bi-monthly blog updates.
- Maintain strong communication by replying to emails.
- Help survey students, parents and staff regarding the effectiveness of the programming when asked.
- Meet or consult regularly with the Program Directors to for an open line of communication.
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with board of directors, staff, volunteers and community organizations.
Accountability: The Outreach Coordinator is accountable to the Executive Director, who is accountable to the Board of Directors.
- Shows strong passion for connecting children to healthy food and nature.
- Strong leadership, management and supervisory skills and experience.
- Strong communication skills.
- Experience with media and graphic design.
- Excellence in problem solving, written and oral communication and organizational skills.
- Ability to develop and maintain strong working relationships with members of the community. Effective collaborator.
- Creative and independent thinking.
- Garden experience.
- Demonstrates effectiveness and experience in fund development.
- Bachelor's Degree required.
- Experience in the non–profit sector preferred.
Delegation of Authority
The Outreach Coordinator may delegate duties, responsibilities, and authority to carry out functions within the parameters of the Employee Manual.
Terms of Employment
Work hours flexible depending on the needs of the organization.
All employees will be required to undergo a background check with GROW and with the School District of La Crosse immediately upon employment. All employees are mandated reporters and will be required to undergo training.
GROW is committed to providing equal opportunity for all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, political affiliation, personal appearance, family responsibilities, matriculation or any other characteristic protected under federal, state or local law. Each person is evaluated on the basis of personal skill and merit.
GROW Personnel Policies and Procedures (Employee Manual) takes effect on date of hire. All GROW, Inc employees are employed on an "at-will" basis. Employment at GROW is for an indefinite period of time and is terminable at any time, with or without cause being shown, by either the employee or GROW.
Details to apply
Deadline to apply: Tuesday, August 27th at midnight – Central Time
Materials to be sent by deadline to:
- Personal resume
- Completed GROW employee application in Word or PDF
- One (1) brief (1 to 4 pages) sample of your writing or media (a grant application, a letter, poster, newsletter, blog) Executive Committee has the option to wave the requirement for reference letters and writing samples if applicant has previously worked with GROW.
Return with one of the following methods:
Email Jamie O’Neill at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Job Application”
Apply on the GROW Facebook page
OR mail to:
P.O. Box 1241
La Crosse WI 54602